Mount Washington Preschool and Child Care Centers at a glance:
• Three child development centers that are licensed non-profit preschool and childcare centers serving children ages six weeks to five years, 11 months. All centers serve community fee-paying families, in addition to the priority families:
– La Casita Verde Child Development Center is located in Highland Park's historic Ziegler Estate, adjacent to the Southwest Museum Metro station, with a priority to serve low- to moderate-income families.
– Joy Picus Child Development Center is located in City Hall South. The enrollment priority is for the Los Angeles City employees and is open to community families.
– Harry Pregerson Child Development Center is also located downtown in the Federal building, and principally serves Federal employees, and is open to community families.
• Approximately 170 children and 50 staff
• 501(c)(3) charitable organization
• An annual budget of $1.5 Million, with more than 80% of expenses for salaries and benefits
Our goal in MWPCCC is to support families with young children and infants. We prepare children for kindergarten and a lifetime of learning by offering them a developmentally-appropriate curriculum, nurturing staff, and a commitment to children's social well-being in an environment that respects and celebrates diversity. Our target population is an economically and ethnically diverse group of children in Los Angeles. We are committed to serving as many low-income/subsidized children as possible, and in fact, often we have absorbed those costs in order to make sure that we do not turn away families for lack of funds.